Thursday, February 4, 2010

Cooking up some Cupcakes

I always find it really difficult to make masculine cards. I'm not sure if its just because I'm a girl, my kids are girls and I'm surrounded by pink all day long, or what. I have a hard time picking out colours, sentiments, you name it. Its always a big conundrum for me.


I need to make two birthday cards this month, that both have to be masculine. So I decided to do sketch #53 in my Joy of Cardmaking book. Its a fairly simple sketch that I thought could easily be done with solid colours. Solids are the easiest for me to go with when I have to make a non-girly card.
So I decided to go with bright happy colours. I chose yellow as the base of the card and layered it with orange. I decided that I couldn't do the entire thing out of solids because it just didn't look right so I threw in a striped paper as well.
The only non-girly birthday stamps that I have that don't involve flowers, fairies or princesses paraphernalia are cupcakes, so that's what I had to go with. I decided just to stamp out three simple little cupcakes and colour them in colours that complimented the striped paper.


I think it turned out alright. I'm not particularly happy with the white backgrounds of the squares (there is a hint of yellow behind them) but I tried a few other colours and they just didn't look right either, so white was the one that looked the best of the worst.

I was also going to have my first go at sewing on a card for this one, but got lazy and didn't feel like dragging my butt up to the sewing machine, or fooling around with the tension. So it stayed simple as simple could be.

Excuse the picture as always. Taken in the basement on the floor. Its the best I could do today :)

Paper: Starfish & Dreams Spiked Punch, Paper Co Festive Orange & Sunny Yellow

Stamps: Inkadinkadoo Birthday Cupcakes; SU Big Bold Birthday

Other: Martha Stewart Markers Tropical Sun; Daffodil; Lovebird; Cornflower meadow

No comments:

Post a Comment